Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
What’s an historical treatment for hemlock poisoning, utilized by Cleopatra, and burned in some church buildings?
In case you guessed frankincense, you bought it proper! Resin from this tree has been utilized in skincare, drugs, and spiritual ceremonies for 1000’s of years. This tree’s soothing and clarifying properties make it the best ingredient in frankincense face cream.
Why Frankincense Face Cream?
Buckle up as a result of there’s a complete lot that frankincense can do!
It has a protracted historical past of use to scale back ache and irritation, however scientists are regularly discovering extra about frankincense.
A 2015 article in European Review checked out how frankincense might assist most cancers sufferers. Not solely did the frankincense cream cut back their painful pores and skin irritation, nevertheless it did it with none unwanted side effects.
This resin additionally fights a broad vary of pathogens on the pores and skin, together with viruses, chilly sores, and fungi (like candida). Whereas the pores and skin on our face may not be that broken (hopefully!), the purpose is frankincense is calming and restorative for a variety of pores and skin points.
In accordance with a 2007 article in Phytomedicine, its antibacterial properties are thought to assist with zits and eczema.
Plus it simply smells wonderful!
Does Frankincense Assist With Wrinkles?
In a 2010 randomized controlled trial, frankincense cream lowered indicators of getting older and harm from UV mild, like wrinkles and darkish spots. Contributors additionally had:
- smoother pores and skin
- fewer positive strains
- elevated elasticity
- much less oil secretion (which implies fewer clogged pores)
Which Frankincense Ought to I Purchase?
There are quite a lot of styles of frankincense important oil in the marketplace. Some are higher high quality than others, and a few odor higher than others. However there’s one other large concern:
Important oils use quite a lot of plant materials and might simply have a destructive environmental impression. Frankincense bushes on the whole are overharvested, particularly the species Boswellia sacra.
Due to these issues, I like to recommend getting the important oil from an organization that ethically and sustainably sources their supplies like Plant Therapy.
Face Cream, Serum, Lotion: What’s the Distinction?
Serum, lotion, cream…what’s the distinction? And why would you choose one over the opposite?
Serums are a mix of liquid components (like this vitamin C serum, a favourite of mine), whereas lotions and lotions are each thickened emulsions of water and oil. Whereas lotions have a better water content material, lotions are thicker and have a tendency to have extra oil.
Though technically face lotions include water-based components, this one sticks to oils. Why? Much less (or no) water means the recipe lasts longer with out utilizing preservatives. For the sake of security and ease, we’re leaving the water out of this frankincense face cream.
No Coconut Oil?
Whereas I’ve given water the boot, chances are you’ll discover one other standard skincare ingredient is lacking.
Coconut oil is nice for thus many issues, together with lotion, nevertheless it does have just a few drawbacks.
It’s extremely comedogenic, which means it clogs pores. Not excellent news for those with acne, clogged pores, or comparable pores and skin points on their face. Some additionally discover it surprisingly drying.
To be on the secure aspect, this face cream makes use of different face-friendly oils.
Customizing Your Frankincense Face Cream
The great thing about making your personal face cream? You possibly can customise it in your pores and skin!
Principally any liquid provider oil will work, however some are extra suited to sure pores and skin sorts.
- Grapeseed oil – a lighter oil that absorbs quick and is nice for shiny to regular pores and skin sorts
- Candy almond oil – Nonetheless on the lighter aspect and good for regular to dry pores and skin sorts.
- Avocado oil – A thicker oil that’s good for mature or dry pores and skin
- Olive oil – A heavier oil for mature or dry pores and skin
Clearly we’re utilizing frankincense right here, however there are different important oils that mix properly with the frankincense. All of those important oils are pores and skin secure and odor good with frankincense.
- Geranium – Helps with zits, congested pores and skin, dermatitis, eczema, oily complexion, mature pores and skin, broken pores and skin.
- Lavender – Helps with zits, dermatitis, eczema, irritation, psoriasis, and broken pores and skin.
- Cypress – Good for shiny pores and skin, wounds, and tightening veins.
- Orange – Brightens uninteresting complexions, improves circulation and oily complexions.
Mango vs Shea Butter
Mango butter is an analogous consistency to shea, nevertheless it’s extra astringent. This makes it good for extra oily pores and skin and even regular pores and skin.
If in case you have dry pores and skin, persist with shea butter.
Whipped Face Cream With Frankincense Oil
You don’t should whip this, however I really like the feel of a whipped frankincense face cream. It feels so ethereal and clean! The easiest way is to make use of the whisk attachment on a stand or hand mixer. I don’t suggest a hand whisk. It takes ceaselessly and the outcomes are disappointing at finest.
DIY Frankincense Face Cream Recipe
Whip up this nourishing DIY face lotion good for uninteresting, drained, or getting older pores and skin
- 1 TBSP mango butter or shea butter
- 1/3 cup grapeseed almond, avocado, or olive oil
- 1 TBSP + 1 tsp beeswax
- 24-48 drops frankincense important oil 1-2% dilution
- 12 drops geranium lavender, candy orange or cypress important oil (a .5% dilution) (non-compulsory)
- 25 drops vitamin E oil non-compulsory however extends the shelf lifetime of oils
In a double boiler or a warmth secure glass bowl add the butter, liquid oil, and beeswax. If utilizing a bowl, perch it on high of a pot crammed midway with water to create a double boiler impact.
Gently warmth the components till they’re utterly melted, stirring sometimes.
Take away from warmth and add the important oils and vitamin E.
Switch the combination to a steel mixing bowl and put within the freezer for about quarter-hour or till stable. The combination needs to be agency however not frozen.
Utilizing a hand mixer or the whisk attachment on a stand mixer to whip the face cream till it’s fluffy and creamy.
- Storage: Retailer in a cool, dry place away from warmth and light-weight. The shelf life relies on the precise components used, however needs to be from 6-12 months.
- Be aware: In case you don’t need to whip the face cream, then switch it to the storage container as an alternative and freeze till cool. Let the combination cool barely first earlier than pouring into the container to keep away from burns or breakage.
Have you ever ever made your personal magnificence merchandise? Will you do this frankincense face cream?