The outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes has been reported in three states. All 10 contaminated folks had been hospitalized and one loss of life was reported in Florida.
All these contaminated have reported consuming Italian-style meats, equivalent to salami, mortadella and prosciutto, both prepackaged deli meats or meats sliced at deli counters. The investigation is in course of to see if a particular kind of deli meat or frequent provider is linked to sickness.
To keep away from getting sick:
- Folks at greater danger for getting sick with Listeria ought to keep away from consuming deli meats except heated to an inside temperature of 165F or till steaming sizzling simply earlier than serving.
Wash your hands after dealing with deli meats. Clear fridge cabinets, kitchen counter tops, utensils and different surfaces that will have come into contact with deli meats.
- Do not let juice from deli meats get on different meals, utensils and meals preparation companies.
- Maintain factory-sealed, unopened packages of deli meats within the fridge for now not than two weeks. Maintain open packages and meat sliced at an area deli within the fridge for now not than 5 days.
Listeria could cause completely different signs, relying on the individual and the a part of the physique affected.
Pregnant ladies sometimes have solely fever and different flu-like signs, equivalent to fatigue and muscle aches. Infections throughout being pregnant, nonetheless, can result in miscarriage, stillbirth, untimely supply or life-threatening an infection of the new child.
- Different folks could have signs together with headache, stiff neck, confusion, lack of stability and convulsions, along with fever and muscle aches.
- Signs often begin one to 4 weeks after consuming contaminated meals.
- The an infection is handled with antibiotics.